Accidents due to falling objects are one of the most common kinds of construction site accidents. It can be dangerous, and cause huge damage because even a small item can cause serious harm. Some of the most serious physical injuries at construction sites include paralysis, brain injury and death.
Some of the most common type of objects which fall at construction sites includes:
- Handheld tools
- Unfastened masonry
- Unsecured loads from cranes or mechanical lifts
Preventing Falling Objects
Accidents due to falling objects can be avoided.
- Carry tools in work belts and toolboxes.
- Raise equipment and materials with hand lines and elevators.
- Place equipment and materials in safe places, where they will not slide, roll, or become loose by vibrations or the wind.
- Making sure workers are aware of who, and what, is underneath them at all times.
- Post warning signs and erect protective barriers.
Proving a Falling Object Accident in Court
A construction worker or pedestrian who is injured by a falling object may sue the construction company. In order to be successful in a lawsuit, the claimant must prove:
- The construction owner had a duty to maintain a safe area within the construction site.
- The construction owner breached duty by not taking steps and extra measures to ensure safety of the construction area.
- The construction owner failed to exercise reasonable care, which caused injury and damages to the claimant.
Claiming Compensation for Accidents Due to Falling Objects at Construction Sites
The New York City construction accident lawyers at Dervishi Law Group, P.C. can assist you with a personal injury claim. Our personal injury lawyers will evaluate your claim, and help you to identify responsible parties. We handle claims involving all types of loss, from broken bones or fractures to brain injury, from spinal cord injury/paralysis to amputation or loss of limb. We also litigate wrongful death claims.
Experienced Construction Accident Lawyers in NY
Dervishi Law Group, P.C. will help you file your claims. Call us today at 917-300-0797 or 718-619-4525 for a free consultation with one of our skilled construction accident lawyers. We serve in Manhattan and Westchester.