Text Us Now at 917.496.8342 for an Immediate Response from our Office Legal Team (24 hours a day/7 Days a Week)
Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyer
Attorney Advertisement: Prior results do not guarantee similar outcomes.
Call Us Today (917) 300-0797, 212-235-1447, 800-659-9318 & (718) 619-4525
Fatos Dervishi, Esq Google+ IconDervishi Law Group, P.C. Facebook Icon Dervishi Law Group Twitter IconFatos Dervishi, Esq Linkedin IconThe Dervishi Law Group Rss IconFatos Dervishi, Esq You Tube Icon Fatos Dervishi, Esq Thumbler Icon Fatos Dervishi, Esq Pinterest Icon Fatos Dervishi, Esq Flickr Icon

What Type of Damages Can You Collect in a Wrongful Death Lawsuit?

September 29th, 2014

Sometimes a person is killed because of the reckless or negligent behavior of someone else. The victim’s family may file a wrongful death lawsuit against the person who is responsible. The wrongful death lawsuit determines the amount of damages surviving family members can collect.

A wrongful death lawsuit is applicable in the following cases:

  • When a person is unintentionally or intentionally killed.
  • When a person dies because of medical malpractice.
  • When a person dies in an automobile accident.

Who can file a wrongful death lawsuit?

  • Children of the victim: Children of the victim can file a lawsuit to claim compensation for their parent’s death.
  • Parents of minors: Parents of minors may file a lawsuit if one of their children is killed.
  • Distant relatives: Distant relatives of the victim, like grandparents, can file a wrongful death lawsuit.

Types of damages collectible in a wrongful death lawsuit

  • Survival claims: A person can file a claim for the pain and suffering of the victim before death.
  • Medical expenses: You can recover medical expenses incurred by the victim before death.
  • Compensatory damages: You can recover lost wages your loved one would have earned if still alive.
  • Punitive damages: Punitive damages punish the person who is responsible for the wrongful death. The responsible person must pay the compensation.
  • Burial claims: The lawsuit can claim compensation for funeral and burial expenses.

Wrongful death attorney in New York

If you have a wrongful death case, then hire Mr. Dervishi of Dervishi Law Group, P.C. in New York. The firm has experience in dealing with wrongful death cases. Call 917-300-0797 for a consultation.

Share on Facebook47Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on LinkedIn0
Tags: ,

Leave a Reply