Text 917-496-8342 for an Immediate Response from our Legal Team (24/7)
Dervishi Law Group P.C.

What Happens If the Other Driver Doesn’t Have Car Insurance? 

July 4th, 2018

car accident

If you have been injured in a car accident with an uninsured driver, you can make a claim to your insurance company under uninsured motorist (UIM) coverage. UIM coverage is additional coverage that you can purchase from your insurance company. It protects you when you are injured in a car accident with an at-fault driver who does not have car insurance.

UIM coverage is only required in some states, but insurance companies are required to offer it to customers in most states. Usually, the time limit for buying UIM coverage is 30 days from the date of the accident.

Learn More About Uninsured Motorist Coverage

Collision Coverage

You can add collision coverage to your insurance policy by paying an extra dollar amount. Collision coverage will pay to repair damages to your vehicle sustained in an accident with an uninsured driver or a hit-and-run driver. However, it will not cover your physical injuries.

Filing a Lawsuit

In no-fault states, each driver or his insurance company is responsible for his own injuries or damages regardless of who was at fault for the accident. Therefore, if you live in a no-fault state and were involved in an accident with an uninsured driver, filing a lawsuit against the other driver might not be an option.
If you live in a traditional negligence state, you may file a lawsuit against the uninsured driver. However, even if you are successful in proving that the other driver was at fault for the accident, you might not receive compensation from the uninsured driver.
If you were injured in a car accident with an uninsured driver, report the accident to your car insurance company and hire a car accident attorney as soon as possible. Your attorney will help you receive the compensation you deserve.

At Dervishi Law Group, P.C., our car accident attorneys have years of experience in negotiating settlements with insurance companies. We will help you deal with the insurance companies and obtain compensation from the responsible parties. Call us at 917-300-0797 or 718-619-4525 or email fdervishi@dervishilaw.com.

Share on Facebook2Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on LinkedIn0
Tags: ,

Leave a Reply