The following are the basic first steps that you should take after a car accident:
- Stay at the accident scene.
- Call the police, even in a minor accident.
- Exchange names, contact numbers, addresses and other basic information with the other driver.
- Talk to people who witnessed the accident.
- Inform your insurance company about the accident.
- Keep a detailed record of all your medical treatment.
- Take photographs of the accident scene.
- Do not discuss the accident with anyone other than your lawyer, your insurance company and the police.
- If you are offered a settlement from an insurance company, do not accept it and consult with an attorney.