Text 917-496-8342 for an Immediate Response from our Legal Team (24/7)
Dervishi Law Group P.C.

Construction Accidents in New York – FAQ

Accidents are common on construction sites in New York. This is especially a concern in New York City, where skyscrapers and tall buildings are constantly under construction. Construction workers are often hurt by falls, electrical shocks, malfunctioning equipment and falling equipment. Contractors can reduce accidents by following and implementing safety procedures. If you suffer an injury on a construction site, then you might have a right to compensation.

Can I Sue Following a Construction Accident?

You may want to contact a personal injury attorney in New York to learn about your options. You need to know who is liable for your injury before you can proceed with a lawsuit. Negligent parties could include the property owner, contractor, equipment manufacturer or another worker on the site. A personal injury attorney can review your situation, decide if you have grounds to sue, and then help with your case.

Can I File a Lawsuit and Collect Workers’ Compensation?

New York State Labor Law provides additional legal rights for construction workers. The aim is to encourage the construction industry to do all it can to create safe working conditions. As a result, some construction workers can file a Workers’ Compensation claim and file a separate lawsuit against their employer. A personal injury attorney can provide more insight into your legal options.

If you cannot sue your employer because of New York’s Workers’ Compensation laws, then you still have options. You may have reason to file a claim against the manufacturer of a defective machine or tool, a subcontractor, a general contractor or the owner of the property or building.

What are the Options for Non-Construction Workers Injured on a Construction Site?

It is possible to suffer an injury while visiting or walking near a construction site. Non-construction workers cannot file for Workers’ Compensation, but you might have cause to file a personal injury claim against the contractor or property owner. You will need an attorney to investigate the incident, and to decide if your injury is the result of a negligent property owner or contractor.

Do I Have to Appear in Court?

It is not always necessary to appear in court. You might have the option to settle your construction accident case by accepting money for dismissing your claim. The defendant offers a payment, and you decide to accept or not. If you accept, then you agree to release the defendant from further legal action. A New York personal injury attorney can help you with this matter.

The Legal Help You Need

Contact a New York personal injury lawyer if you have a construction site accident in New York State. Dervishi Law Group, P.C. can help with your personal injury lawsuit.