Sometimes a person is killed because of the reckless or negligent behavior of someone else. The victim’s family may file a wrongful death lawsuit against the person who is responsible. The wrongful death lawsuit determines the amount of damages surviving family members can collect.
A wrongful death lawsuit is applicable in the following cases:
- When a person is unintentionally or intentionally killed.
- When a person dies because of medical malpractice.
- When a person dies in an automobile accident.
Who can file a wrongful death lawsuit?
- Children of the victim: Children of the victim can file a lawsuit to claim compensation for their parent’s death.
- Parents of minors: Parents of minors may file a lawsuit if one of their children is killed.
- Distant relatives: Distant relatives of the victim, like grandparents, can file a wrongful death lawsuit.
Types of damages collectible in a wrongful death lawsuit
- Survival claims: A person can file a claim for the pain and suffering of the victim before death.
- Medical expenses: You can recover medical expenses incurred by the victim before death.
- Compensatory damages: You can recover lost wages your loved one would have earned if still alive.
- Punitive damages: Punitive damages punish the person who is responsible for the wrongful death. The responsible person must pay the compensation.
- Burial claims: The lawsuit can claim compensation for funeral and burial expenses.
Wrongful death attorney in New York
If you have a wrongful death case, then hire Mr. Dervishi of Dervishi Law Group, P.C. in New York. The firm has experience in dealing with wrongful death cases. Call 917-300-0797 for a consultation.
On Sept. 13, 2014, a man driving a SUV struck a 27-year-old man and a 32-year-old woman on Seaview Avenue near Louisiana Avenue in East New York. The accident happened shortly before 2 a.m. The woman suffered minor injuries, and the man was in critical condition. Both victims were taken to Brookdale Hospital.
Accidents may lead to injuries which require extensive medical treatment. An experienced automobile accident attorney can help claim compensation from insurance agencies or from the person responsible. Attorney Fatos Dervishi, an automobile accident attorney in the Bronx, is experienced in dealing with automobile accident cases.
Contact him at 917-300-0797.